HAYS SAYS MOVIES ARE WORLD FORCE

Object Now is to Make Movies Above the Average in Morals and Art--Political Censorship Unpopular

Moving pictures, the single universal language, are the greatest force today in the promotion of international understanding, according to Will Hays, President of the Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America, who spoke at the Union yesterday.

This understanding, engendered in the open minds of audiences in every country, will lessen hatred between countries, thus bringing nearer the arrival of world peace said Mr Hays. The militons who daily throng to see American films, 90 percent of which are made by the companies under my supervision, are influenced to an extent never possible by books or the press."

"Has Helped Everyone"

J. P. Kennedy, President of Film Booking Offices of America, who has arranged the series of lectures to be given at the Business School by prominent members of the motion picture industry, introduced Mr. Hays as the man who has helped every person in the United States by improving moving pictures morally and artistically

Mr. Hays pointed out that the industry which be controls started as a gold rush, analogous to the rush to the Klondike. Each producer sought financial success alone. Realizing that success does not come from wealth alone, many of the original producers sought to improve the standards of the films. It is significant that those who pursued this policy are the ones now in control, leaving behind long since those who sought only wealth.

"The aim now is to make productions whose moral and artistic tone is enough above the average wanted, to be of some educational value" continued Mr. Hays, "yet not be so 'high brow' that they are unliked and consequently unpatronized Progress has been made but much remains to be done. The film companies cannot serve a vegetarian diet to people who want raw beef. In one of the largest theatres in Washington, Beau Brummel starring John Barrymore, lost $36,000. The following week "Flaming Youth netted $38,000."

Mr. Hays believes that the people do not want shows such as are being produced on the stage today.

Churches and schools do not seek or gain from the stage the aid rendered by moving pictures. This is the latest phase of the growth of an industry whose rise is more romantic and dramatic than the stories which it presents on its screens."