DIAMOND SQUAD HAS LONG OUTDOOR PRACTICE

CONSTANTLY CHANGING INFIELD COMBINATIONS TRIED

The first short outdoor practice for two infields two days ago was followed yesterday by a long workout for the entire baseball squad. The early arrival of warm weather and the excellent condition of the Soldiers Field turf has allowed Coach Mitchell to take his charges out of the cramped quarters of the old baseball cage considerably earlier than usual.

The session was devoted chiefly to batting practice for the entire squad with a constantly changing combination of infielders behind the pitchers who served up balls for the batters.

The early start, coupled with the great wealth of veteran material, augurs well for a successful season. Twelve letter men from last year's team and as many more form the Freshman and University squads of last year form an exceptionally strong squad.

The strongest department of the squad is the pitching staff. Headed by Barbee, moundsman who starred frequently last spring, it includes two other veterans in Cutts and Booth, and three men from last season's Freshman nine, Ketchum, Whitmore, and Molloy. Chauncy, who played behind home-plate last year, seems to be the most likely catcher.

Five letter men besides Captain Zarakov are fighting for infield positions. Prior and Tobin both held down the keystone sack last year, while Chase and Ullman both won letters playing at second. Captain Zarakov at third and Sullivan at short-stop appear to be sure of retaining their positions, in spite of the keep competition. Burns, Ellison, and Jones, all three letter men, are the leading outfield candidates.