OUR MOVIES INFLUENCE EURASIA STATES LASKY

EX-PLAY PRODUCER WAS FIRST TO PRODUCE FEATURE FILMS

"The motion picture business has grown as a result of the construction of better theatres," said Jesse D. Lasky, Vice-President of Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, in an interview with the CRIMSON yesterday after his lecture at the Business School. "Twelve years ago, when the motion picture industry was getting its start, the movie-houses were frequented by the lower class of society. The pictures were mediocre and the so-called theatres were nothing more than cabarets. The great contrast between then and now in this industry, as I see it, was instigated by an improvement in the show-houses themselves. With an increase in the quality of the theatre came naturally films of higher quality. Subjects of more elevating moral status were chosen; higher paid actors and actresses were employed; and the present highest class productions are the result. Today many of yesteryear's popular artists of the stage are now even more popular on the screen."

Asked if, in his opinion, the present unrest in Europe and China were due to American motion pictures, Mr. Lasky answered, "Yes, to a certain degree. How much our pictures influenced foreigners is difficult to ascertain, but we are certain they have some influence. Europeans and Chinese, as well as other foreigners, see in American films the many facilities that make our life more pleasant, and perhaps easier; and it creates in them a certain restless feeling. This causes them to want to be free, and I believe, has some influence on our immigration problem."

Mr. Lasky believes that the motion picture business is yet in its infancy, and that its future development will take place in Europe as well as in America. "There are but few foreign made films shown today in Europe," he said, "nearly all of them are filmed in the United States. For many years I think this condition will remain unchanged Europeans are not yet prepared to produce their films. America will continue to lead the way, and the test of the world will follow."

In 1915 Mr. Lasky was a producer of stage plays. Displeased with the short two-reel pictures then being filmed, he determined to produce a film that would said an audience for several hours, and thus entertain them for an entire evening. The result was his entrance into the moving picture industry and the production of "feature films", for which, since that time he has become world famous. Twelve years ago, the newly organized Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, a joining of the firms of Adolph Zukor and Jesse Lasky, had a total capital of $100,000. Today, the corporation is worth $100,000,000 in assets