BASKETBALL LEAGUES ATTRACT 300 PLAYERS

SPORT BIDS TO RIVAL SQUASH IN WINTER POPULARITY

With six teams from the Graduate Schools, four undergraduate class teams, 10 fraternity quintets, and 10 groups representing the Freshman dormitories, basketball has taken a firmer hold than ever before on the University.

These quintets plus the University and Freshman teams find over 300 men playing basketball regularly, and indicate that within a short time the activity will rival squash in popularity as a winter indoor sport.

Law III heads the roster of Graduate School teams, and is well on its way to the championship with six victories and no defeats. Composed of former inter-collegiate stars including Criss of Wittenberg College, Palm of Michigan State, Morrison of Clark, Correa of Princeton and Malloy of Swarthmore, it has easily disposed of the other league teams.

With a record of four games won and one defeat, the 1930 quintet leads the Class League, with Junior, Senior and Sophomore teams following in that order.

A. W. Samborski '26 coach of the Freshman team has also under his supervision the men playing on the Dormitory teams. These men, numbering about 100, have been playing at three hours of basketball classes offered in the curriculum of Required Physical Training.

For each of these hours leagues have been formed, and the teams are now playing for the championship of their respective leagues. After these games have been played, another series will be played, the first-place teams of the present leagues to compose League A, the second-place League B, and those in third place League C.