CREWS MAY GO ON RIVER THIS WEEK

Freshmen Hope to Take Initial Cruise in Giant Practice Barge Today--No Crew Choice Till April

The Freshman oarsmen will row in the Leviathan for the rest of this week but will then be made up into crews. However, Coach Haines intends to keep these boats as nearly equal as possible and will not pick a first eight until the latter part of this month or the first of April. At that time a first, second and third Freshman boat will be chosen as well as two 150-pound first year eights. Because of the death of coxswains all first year men interested have been asked to report at Weld Boat House today at 2.30 o'clock, where they will be assigned to the Leviathan. Experience is not necessary and probation will not keep men from the pilot berths on the dormitory crews, Manager J. McA. Preston '28 announced.

With the break up of the river and the clearing away of the ice cakes which still remain, the University and Freshman crews will be able to go on the water the latter part of this week or the first of next, it was announced by Head Crew Coach E. J. Brown '96 last night.

At the first sign of open water one of the class launches was equipped with sheet iron strips and driven about in such a way as to hasten the opening of the channel. The ice is still eight or ten inches thick but so weakened that the armored launch encountered no particular difficulty in its work. Although there are still isolated blocks, the channel is clear.

The first year men will be the first on the water when they launch the Leviathan today for its initial cruise of the season, unless a change in weather condition forces revision of plans, it was announced by Coach Haines last night. Coach Brown's men will not appear on the river until a few days later, partly because of the fact that shells are very apt to collide disastrously with floating ice cakes and partly due to the fact that Coach Brown believes much valuable time may yet be spent in the tank.

Coach Brown said that eight of the men which at present form one of the crews composing the present A squad will be dropped to the B squad next week, leaving four instead of five boats in the first group. Each of the A crews which is retained will then elect a captain, in spite of the fact that this arrangment of the crews is not at all permanent. Geoffrey Platt '27, captain this year of the University crew, will captain the boat in which he rows.