COURSE MARKS WILL LOWER ALL LANGUAGE BARRIERS

Requirements May be Met by Satisfactory Grades in Language Courses

That the language requirement of a "reading knowledge" of French, German, or Latin, may hereafter be met by certain grades in various courses has been voted by the Faculty and will take effect immediately. This change, embodied in a recommendation from the Committee on Instruction with Reference to the Administration of the Language Requirements was passed by the Faculty on February 15 and announced for the first time last night.

The requirement of a "reading knowledge," according to a statement issued last night, may now be met in the three languages by satisfying the conditions stated below:

A satisfactory grade in French 1, or a satisfactory grade at mid-years, or a passing grade at finals in any whole course in French literature higher than French 1 will be necessary to credit a student with a "reading knowledge" of French.

Three German Courses Count

In German, the requirement may be met with a satisfactory grade in German 1a, 1b, or 1c, or by either a satisfactory grade at mid-years or a passing grade at finals in any whole course in German literature higher than German 1a, 1b, or 1c.

The Latin conditions require a satisfactory grade in Latin A; or a satisfactory grade at mid-years or a passing grade at finals in any whole course in Latin literature higher than Latin A.

A grade of C or better is termed "satisfactory". It is understood that the reading examinations will be continued as previously, although under the new conditions they will be taken by a much smaller number of men.

Another recommendation of the Committee on Instruction, of less importance than the alteration in the language requirements, was also passed by the Faculty, to the effect that the administration of the Language requirements be placed in the hands of a committee of seven members of the Faculty, which shall contain representatives of the Departments of Classics, Romance Languages and Literatures, and Germanic Languages and Literatures.