PHOTOGRAPHS OF SCULPTURE ON VIEW AT FOGG MUSEUM

Hitherto Unrealized Possibilities Shown by Kennedy's Work

The use of photography in the study of Fine Arts is exemplified at its best in the exhibition of photographs taken by Professor Clarence Kennedy of Smith College, now being shown in the Print Room of the Fogg Art Museum. For obvious reasons satisfactory photographs of sculpture are far more difficult to obtain than those of paintings. They demand a sympathetic study of the object from innumerable points of view, and in varying lights and shadows in order to bring out the essential and finest qualities. Appreciating this to the full, and realizing the importance of good reproductions for the use of students, Professor Kennedy has for several years made a special study of photographing sculpture both in Museums and in private collections where, through the courtesy of directors and owners he was able to move the object to be photographed to the best possible location for his purpose, or to otherwise arrange the lighting, an operation which could only be trusted to some one with his professional background. The results of Professor Kennedy's work as seen at the Fogg Museum reveal possibilities hither to for the most part unrealized.

The Exhibition consists of photographs of Italian Renaissance sculpture taken by Professor Kennedy in 1925-26 in connection with his study of Desiderio da Settignano, and of classical sculptures, some photographed several years earlier. Among the Italian sculptures are details of the Tomb of Carlo Marsuppini and the Tomb as a whole, also several Portrait busts. Among the photographs of Classical sculpture are ones of the Erectheum made for the book on this temple soon to be published by the American School at Athens, and many examples of Archaic sculpture including the Charioteer at Delphi.

The exhibition will remain until March 16.