Plan Harvard University Tour to Europe for Coming Summer

Students to Spend Most of Time in One Country and Live in Private Families

An exclusively Harvard University tour has been planned by the International Student Hospitality Association for this coming summer. It is being carried out through the Open Road, Inc, which is headed by S. E. Rothchild '16, a Harvard graduate and the founder of the Liberal Club here. The aim of the organization is to meet the intellectual as well as practical needs, of the traveler. In past summers it has been found that American students have attempted to "do" Europe after the manner of the American sightseers. In order to remedy this condition, under which, the traveler wears himself out and returns home home tired and dissatisfied, the National Student Federation of America joined with the Confederation Internationale des Etudians, which represents 33 student organizations in Europe, in order to organize these tours.

Tours will go from all the leading colleges in the country and each group will be about 13 men plus a leader. The Harvard Group will have France as its central object, going into Belgium, and German Switzerland.

The members will be picked by leader J. A. Riegel 1L,. Mere ability to pay the price will not assure membership.

The central aim, and it is this that makes it different from other tours, is hospitality. In almost every country a student of the country will travel with the group as guide and host. The members of the expedition will often stay in private homes and thus be in a position to be a members of a real foreign family. The students who arrange the program in each country are activated by patriotic motive and an interest in foreign peoles which belong to their educational tradition. The Tours will take three months and by spending a considerable time in one country the traveler will get beneath the surface over which tourists usually skim. In visiting additionally a country of similar, and one of different culture, he will be verifying his general impressions of European life.

This enterprise is an innovation and it is one which should be encouraged. Last year 200 members of the N. S. F. A. tried it out and returned home sure that it would be a success in the future. These men were entertained by lords and ladies, peasants, students, professors, politicans. Aside from the better travelling conditions these fours offer college men the movement is a big step towards cementing international friendship in the coming generations.