Popularity of Larger Concentration Fields Is Gradually Waning--English Still Holds First Place Despite Decrease

Close upon the meeting held yesterday morning to enlighten the Freshman in the choosing of his field of concentration, comes a series of figures disclosing some interesting facts on the popularity of various fields for the past few years.

It is observed that English, attracting 26 per cent of the college in 1924, a proportion considerably larger than that drawn by any other field, has been gradually losing its margin of popularity, although 22 per cent of the students majored in English in 1926.

Another field, Economics, which with a percentage of 15.4 in 1924 was second only to English in popularity, lost some of its support.

The field of Romance Languages has been the third most popular of the 23 fields offered, having maintained an average of 9 per cent for the last three years.

History and Chemistry have both remained very nearly equal. In 1926, a little over eight per cent of the college chose to concentrate in each of these fields.

Biology, Fine Arts, Government, History and Literature, and Mathematics have led the remaining courses. The 13 fields not listed above drew 16.6 per cent of the college.

A general tendency to get away from the most popular fields may be noticed in the decrease in percentage drawn by those fields which were once predominant, and increase in nearly all of the less favored fields.