ORATORICAL CONTEST PRIZE AWARDED TO REEL

Capper-Johnson Is Second, Winning Boylston Prize--Hanford Is Among Judges of Contest

Speaking for the Lee Wade and Boylston, Prizes in Sanders Theatre last night, A. F. Reel '28 won the first prize of the evening, the Lee Wade Prize, given by Dr. F. H. Wade in memory of his son, Lee Wade 2nd '14. His recitation was, "On Retaining the Philippine Islands" by G. F. Hoar.

The second honor of the evening in the form of the first Boylston Prize was won by K. M. Capper-Johnson '27, who used as his speech an address, "On the Reduction of Armaments" given at Geneva in 1924 by J. Ramsay MacDonald. The second Boylston Prize was won by B. A. Wolff '29, who gave "Not Guilty", an anonymous piece of prose, with H. L. Kozol '27 taking the third Boylston Prize with his recitation of "The Man With the Hoe", by Edwin Markham.

The judges of the speakers were Professor A. C. Hanford, Regent Mathew Luce '91, and Professor J. A. McLaughlin '16, while L. F. Daley '27, first Marshal of the Senior class, presided over the meeting.

Although the audience was not large, the speaking was of a very high calibre and the judges found it very difficult to make their decisions.

The other contestants of the evening were P. J. W. Rowe '29, F. I. Kogos '29, B. M. Newburger '27, Eduardo Andrade '28.

While the judges were deciding, a double quartet of Glee Club singers entertained the audience. They sang four selections. There was a chorus from one of Cluck's operas as well as one of Walt Whitman's poems, put to music by Vaughan Williams.