NINE FACES BATES ON DIAMOND TODAY

1930 Team Overwhelms Huntington by a 17 to 1 Score--Loose Fielding by the Schoolboys Is Feature

In the last contest before leaving Cambridge to invade the South, the University baseball team meets the Bates nine at 3 o'clock this afternoon on Soldiers Field.

The Bates team, which is entering its initial encounter of the season this afternoon, numbers six veterans in its lineup R. R. Ketchum '29 or F. B. Cutts '28 will work on the mound for the Crimson, while Small or Black will hurl for the visitors.

Yesterday afternoon on the Freshman diamond the 1930 nine trounced a Huntington School nine, 17-1. So long did the Freshmen's assault drag out the game, that the contest was called off on account of darkness after the first half of the seventh inning.

The visitors were able to touch the Freshmen hurlers, M. S. Worth and W. S. Hardie, for only widely-scattered four hits, while the first year sluggers pounded the offerings of O'Neil for 14 hits, including three doubles and two triples.

The losers only tally came in the first inning when Worth passed O'Brien, and two of the men who followed him to the plate sacrificed and singled. After the initial frame, however, the Huntington nine was unable to advance any man further than second base.

The Crimson first year men, however, after being held to one run in the first inning and to none in the second, opened up a barrage of hits, which, with their opponents' errors, netted three runs in the third and five in the fourth.

The last two innings of the game, added eight more tallies to the Freshman total.

D. F. Davis, Jr., with a triple, a double, a single, and a sacrifice hit, led the yearlings at bat.

The lineups follows:

Harvard 1930--Nugent, s.s.; Summers, c.f.; Carver, 2b.; Barbour, 3b.; Nelson, l.f.; Huxtable, r.f.; Dudley, c.; Worth, Hardie, p. Davis, 1b.

Huntington--O'Brien, l.f.; Lothrop, 1b.; Spognardie, s.s.; Reardon, c.; Souther, r.f.; Eogarty, 2b.; Murphy, 3b.; Green, c.f.; O'Neil, p.