CASE DISMISSED

The resurrection of the immortals continues. Beside Helen and Galahad one may place Socrates, since an Athenian attorney proposes an appeal to the Supreme Court in order that the ancient philosopher may be proven innocent of the charges laid against him. A gesture it is but is not a noble gesture. Socrates little requires the trappings of modern courts, nor could any lawyer give him any defense as magnificent as the Crito. Modern Greece might well let Socrates alone inviolable in his antiquity and untainted by modernity.

One wonders concerning the sage's self-appointed attorney. What does he share with the long dead guilty one in addition to the same fatherland? Does the same spirit animate him that kindled the oratorical fires of the king of Sophists? If so he is a unique species. Centuries have brought changes to all countries but none so striking as those to Greece. Occasionally one runs across a person possessed of the true Grecian spirit. The proposition of Socrates modern defender would appear to indicate that he is not among that sacred few.