PRIMA DONNA IN PLAID

An interesting contribution to contemporary American is the fact that opera stars can, and according to the Saturday Evening Post do, wear waists made out of the red woolen plaid lining of their Father's twenty year old overcoats. At least such is the accomplishment of Miss Marion Talley, the homespun diva, who is now pouring forth extensive memoirs.

These Metropolitan stars may not be able to sing any better than their predecessors but at least they are as amusing. Only the enchanting personality of Geraldine Farrar could have carried off such an enormous coup as is Miss Talley's although of course had Mary Garden been inclined toward anything but prismatic gowns she could have done the same and have rated, if not the Post at least the Hearst sheets. But it remained for the pride of Kansas City to garner both publicity and economy. Whoever is the power behind the throne in guiding Miss Talley through the mazes of an operatic career has a large amount of sagacity and a peculiar insight into the minds of what she may safety term "her public." It matters not at all if he visualizes her as a cross between a football manager and a Dartmouth undergraduate because nothing is so productive at the box office as a well advertised star--not even an excellent singer.