THE MANLY ART

Boxing as an intercollegiate sport at Harvard was given trial at Hemenway Gymnasium Saturday night with striking success. It remains now only to grace the most manly form of athletic endeavor with the dignity and title of minor sport. As a form of clean, hard competition bringing into play the highest degree of skill training and condition, boxing has a distinct place among the organized athletics of the University.

Harvard has been slow to encourage and aid enthusiasts of glove and canvas despite a steadily increasing interest shown during the past few years. The chief objection to boxing as a form of intercollegiate activity has emanated from the stigma attached to the professional "fight" game, and the fear that unfriendly feeling among rival spectators would be aroused and fostered by the sight of men "fighting" in the ring. Opposition to the sport on the grounds that it lends itself to instances of brutality and unnecessary injury to the participants is to be considered less seriously. These evils can and have been eliminated through careful and intelligent regulation of the competition.

The meeting between M. I. T. and Harvard was regarded with some apprehension as an answer to the first objection. A friendly, courteous spirit and treatment of the contestants was the gratifying result, and satisfactory evidence that the art of fisticuffs is of interest for its own sake.