CASELLA TO LECTURE ON MODERN ITALIAN MUSIC

WILL DISCUSS CONTEMPORARY COMPOSERS OF HIS SCHOOL

Lectures on the different aspects of modern music and the courses its development has followed in different countries have been given at Harvard by musicians and composers of many nationalities. But Monday afternoon will be the first time that one of the leaders of Italian musical growth have ever addressed a Harvard and Cambridge audience. At that time Alfredo Casella, composer, pianist, and conductor, will lecture on "Contemporary Italian Composers" in the Paine Concert Hall at 5 o'clock. The lecture will be in French and will be accompanied by pianoforte illustrations.

Mr. Casella, who is at present conductor of the Boston Symphony Pops concerts, has been one of the most important leaders of the awakening which has taken place in the Italian School during the last decade, and which is now beginning to show evidences of distinct achievement largely under his leadership. Such composers as Respighi, Malipiero, and Pizzetti have been associated with Casella in this movement and it is to their work that he will devote the major part of his lecture on Monday.

The lecture, which is being sponsored by the departments of Music, Fine Arts, and Romance Languages and Literatures, is open to the public free of charge.