REVOLT IN THE DESERT

Secretary of the Treasury Mellon, in deciding to discharge both General Andrews, assistant secretary in charge of prohibition, and Major Haynes, "acting" commissioner of prohibition, has adopted the logical way out of the trouble caused by the continual disagreement of these men. There was an impasse predicted when General Andrews was first removed to a less active position, in favour of an official actively- supported by the AntiSaloom League. Only when he issues his statement of the situation during his two years in office will some light be thrown on the processes which underlie the great task of enforcement.

Pending this light, or illuminant on from some other source, the public is still in the dark as to the extent to which the Anti-Saloon League and other non-governmental organizations influence the government in its work of prohibition. It can draw only one conclusion from the constant struggles which go on between those in authority; the blame must lie to a certain extent with a law which causes such difficulties. It is obvious that any such innovation must at the start create preliminary quarrels; but Prohibition has had time to form, if not complete harmony, at least a working agreement between its leaders.

The lower house of the Illinois legislature has called for a state referendum on the whole question an example which other legislatures might do well to follow. The votes of the citizens are the only statistics which can put an end to the welter of opposing figures, of can vasses and straw votes, stirred up by the wets and drys, and they might have some effect, as well, on the hidden forces which foment in Washington. As it is both supporters of and objectors against the eighteenth amendment must admit that its machinery needs readjusting.