CRIMSON EIGHTS AIM FOR CORNELL

Squad Will Leave for Ithaca This Thursday-To Work Out on Lake Before Saturday's Races

The University crews started preparation for their races at Cornell on Saturday with a long row upstream yesterday afternoon. There were two temporary changes in the boats, John Watts '28 resting while James Perkins '27 stroked the first eight and J. B. Olmstead '27 replacing J. H. Harwood '27 on the seconocrew, Harwood being ill. Olmstead rowed 4 yesterday and William Emmet '29, the regular 4 man, shifted to the 5 seat. Emmet is more comfortable on the starboard side of the boat.

Squad Leaves Thursday

The Crimson eights will leave for Ithaca on Thursday and have several workouts on Cayuga's waters before the races saturday afternoon. Lake Cayuga is apt to be windy and rough, so the Harvard oansmen should feel at home.

The last visit to Ithaca was made three years ago. On that occasion the water on the regular course was unnavigable, and short races were rowed on the "inlet" over a course of about a mile, with Cornell winner in the darkness. For the last two years, Cornell has brouught big crews to Cambridge and rowed pathetically badly. This season is a different story, however. Under the new coach, James Wray, pre-war Harvard mentor, the Big Red crew situation is looking up, and visions are seen to a return of the glory of Cornell crews in the days on Courtney. On Saturday, Cornell trailed Princeton and Yale in the Tigers' amazing victory on still, shallow Lake Carnegie, but the Ithacans were only a length and a half behind and the second boat, though beaten by Yale, led the Princeton "jayvees."

150-Pounders Race on Schuylkill

While the University crews invade New York State, the 150-pound eight and still unnamed Third University boat will spend the week end in Philadelphia, taking part in the American Henley. The Crimson lightweights may put up a close race, for the defeat they suffered Saturday was not a bad one. DeNormandie was stroking his first race, and the crew, which kept up well for about a mile, found the pace a bit too hot near the finish. The eight should do better at Philadelphia.

The third crew will probably be picked this evening and seems likely to contain a majority of the men who composed the championship Sophomore boat