DINING HALL IS NEEDED BY GRADUATE STUDENTS

FOOD QUALITY WILL DETERMINE SUCCESS OF UNDERTAKING

That the proposed University dining hall will fill a present need in the graduate schools as well as in the college is the opinion of several prominent officers of the graduate faculties and student bodies. Yesterday Dean H. J. Hughes '94, of the Engineering School, and Livingston Hall 3L, Chairman of the Law School Advisory Committee, added their commendations of the scheme for a new dining hall to those already expressed by Professor G. H. Chase '96, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and Professor G. H. Edgell '09, Dean of the Graduate School of Architecture.

"The existing eating conditions at Harvard," said Dean Hughes, "are certainly deplorable, and I heartily endorse any plan for improving them. Many of the graduate students in the Engineering School should find such a dining hall as that which President Lowell has promised to erect of particular value as a place to meet and get acquainted with each other. And for the undergraduates it would, of course, put an end to the necessity of the present irregular eating around which has proved detrimental to both health and sociability."

Livingston Hall 3L, whose position as head of the Law School student advisors has brought him into close contact with the needs of the Law School students, said that the new dining hall, if erected, should find support among these students, though its ultimate success would depend more on the quality of the food served than on the general need felt for it.

"If the new hall serves good food at a reasonable price." Hall said in an interview with the CRIMSON. "I don't think the disadvantage of its distance from the Law School would prevent students from eating there. Most of them go down to the square now, and a dining hall on Mt. Auburn Street would not be enough farther to make much difference.

"It is difficult to say how the Law students will respond to the proposal at first: it is even likely that no great number of them will sign up this spring. But there is a place for such an establishment, and if it is successful in operation it ought to attract a large number of students. I think that first year men particularly will make use of it. Most of them know very few people when they come here and will probably welcome a club eating system as a means of be coming acquatured with each other.