MANY UPSETS MARK FIRST OF I. C. 4A. COMPETITIONS

Stanford Star One of Favorites Forced Out of Meet-Miller, Moore, Malick Porter Win

The opening day of I. C. A. A. A. A. competition on Franklin Field yesterday afternoon saw a large number of upsets in the expected results of the qualifying trials. Harvard got only four men into the finals which will be staged this afternoon and at least two of these had not even been counted in the running in the pre-meet dope.

Stanford and Southern California lived up to expectations leading the field in the number of men qualified, the former with 14 and the latter with 10. Although Stanford enters today's competition still a heavy favorite to carry off championship honors, the most surprising upset of the first day occurred to one of the Californians best runners. Emerson Spencer, generally picked to depose Cecil Cooke, giant Syracuse negro, from his place as the premier quarter miler in college ranks, was forced out of the meet by falling to take better than a fourth in his qualifying heat in the 440, a heat which was won by Swope of Dartmouth in 49 7-10 seconds.

A. H. Miller '27 and T. G. Moore '29 were the only Crimson stars who lived up to expectations. Miller took first in his heat in the 100, while Moore tossed the Javelin 190 feet 5 1-2 inches to earn the right to compete in today's final test of strength in the event. Miller also fought his way to the semifinals this afternoon in the furlong. The other Harvard runners who came through the first day of the battling were J. S. Malick '27 in the 440 and R. P. Porter '29 in the half mile. Neither of these men were conceded more than an outside chance of placing in their events.

Reports late last night stated that five Crimson athletes had qualified in yesterday's trial round, but varied as to who the fifth man was.

No records have as yet gone by the boards in the fifty-first annual Intercollegiate meeting. Although a new mark.

was made by Maroney of Georgetown in the javelin which had to be disallowed due to the strong wind at his back.

Clifford Hoffman, counted on by his University of Southern California mates to place first in both the shot and discus, came second to Gerken, California captain in the former event, but did over 147 feet with the metal plate to lead the field.

Borah of Southern California won his heats in both the 100 and 220 and Alder man of Michigan also placed among the furlong leaders. Huesoy, Boston College flash, was prevented from entering the meet by sickness.

Next to the surprise caused by Spencer's failure to lead his heat in the quarter, perhaps the greatest upset provided by yesterday's batting was the elimination of Anderson of Cornell in the shot put. An unheralded Bates runner nam-