UNEASY LIES THE HEAD . . .

In the days when there were more kings than there are now, royalty was a glittering prerogative, but it had proportionate difficulties. Now, when the kingly office has become more simple with the rise of prime ministers and presidents, it would be only natural to expect that life for the scion of a reigning house would be a comparatively simple matter. But it seems that the increase of unconventionality has brought a new set of problems that make that life of a prince a delicate matter. The Prince of Wales, the most prominent of the younger royal set, having substituted a felt hat for a crown and flannel trousers for princely regalia, is said to have been a disappointment to Spain. Evidently Spain expected a more traditional sort of dignity. The sobriquet that young Edward earned was "Prince of Jazz", and the epithet does not seem to have been meant favorably.

It must be difficult indeed for a prince to know what is expected of him now that, fashions in royal etiquette have become in places altered and in places done away with altogether. A few slips may not today be sufficient cause for a declaration of war, but they leave a bad impression in the public, mind which, though it has in many cases ceased to regard kings practically, still attaches a measure of sanctity to their persons. It is to be feared that the Prince's informality of costume, unprincely disinterest in Spanish ladies, and undiplomatic refusal to attend a bull-fight may cause Anglo-Spanish relations to become a trifle strained. The kingly office is still a difficult one evidently. "Vive la Republique!"