CRIMSON INVADERS LOSE TO QUAKER NINE

Barbee Loses First Game of Season Before 20,000 People--Sanford Allows Only Four Hits

Before a University of Pennsylvania Alumni Day crowd of 20,000 people, J. N. Barbee '28, Crimson twirling ace, lost a pitching duel to Foster Sanford Jr., enabling the Quaker star to win a 4 to 1 victory for Pennsylvania Saturday afternoon, the latter's second triumph this season over the Crimson. The game substantially strengthen the claim of the Quakers to the mythical Eastern collegiate baseball championship, they having won the Quadrangular league championship last Friday, and having just one more game to play with a record of 19 victories and five defeats.

Barbee Loses First Battle

Saturday's defeat was the fourth of the year for Harvard and the first for Barbee, who had 10 straight starts to his credit before he went into the box against the Philadelphians. Pitching excellent ball at the outset, he held the Quakers at bay for four innings, and until the fifth inning it looked as though the 20,000 alumni gathered in the stands would have little to cheer about. But in that inning the Penn team gained impetus and the sixth turned the tide, the Quakers bunching their hits and staging a three-runrally.

Fifth Inning Crimson Nemesis

In the fifth inning with one man out, Connell of Pennsylvania singled to right and went to third when Thompson singled to the same place. With Cole at the plate, Connell executed the Squeeze play, and beat Barbee's throw to the plate, but Umpire Baltzel ruled that Cole was not in his box and Connell, therefore, had to go back to third. Connell came running in again on the next pitched ball, but this time Cole hit a foul tip that was just wide enough to escape Chauncey's ready glove. On the next ball, however, Connell's mighty efforts to reach home proved successful due to Barbee's wild pitch. Cole and Sanford then struck out.

Crimson Scores in Eighth

Sanford, pitching well for the Quakers save for a little wildness, surpassed his previous showing in the game won by Pennsylvania on their in- vasion of Soldiers Field. He allowed four hits in all, and until a slip in the eighth inning threatened a shutout. After collecting a four run lead for Sanford the Penn team continued to offer fine support until the next to the last inning when Harvard pushed over its only run.

Donaghy, Crimson shortstop, hit the second ball pitched to deep center for a triple. Captain Tremper of Pennsylvania was over in right field and he just failed to reach the hit.

Ellison, who followed Donaghy to the plate, filed to Tremper and the Penn leader was so quick with the throw to the plate that Donaghy was held at third.

Donaghy Makes Sole Run

Barbee then flied to Cole and it was two out. Burns subsequent tap was a sacrifice that went through to Beeker, Penn third-baseman. Beeker attempted to get Donaghy at the plate but his throw was a little wild. The result was that Donaghy scored and Burns was safe at first. Chase walked and things looked brighter for the Crimson hopes. Sanford, however, caught Burns napping at second base in a quick throw to Thompson.

The University nine threatened several other times, but were never in a favorable position to score.

The score follows:

*Deutsch out, bunted third strike.

Two base hits, Deutsch, Thomas, Cole. Three base hits, Chauncey, Donaghy. Stolen bases, Donaghy, Zarakov, Lord. Bases on balls, off Barbee 1, off Sanford 5. Sacrifice hits, Armstrong 2, Burns. Struck out, by Barbee 7, by Sanford 7. Hit by pitched ball, by Sanford (Ullman). Left on bases, Pennsylvania 3, Harvard 7, Wild pitches, Barbee, Sanford. Umpires, Baltzel and Warner. Time of game, 2 hours, 38 minutes.

PENNSYLVANIA  a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Deutsch r.f.  3  1  2  1  0  0McDonald r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0Armstrong 2b.  3  1  1  1  2  0Thomas l.f.  4  1  1  1  0  0Tremper c.f.  3  0  0  3  0  0Becker 3b.  3  0  1  1  1  0Connell c.  3  1  1  8  3  0Thompson s.s.  3  0  1  5  2  0Cole 1b.  3  0  1  7  0  0Sanford p.  3  0  0  0  2  0  --  --  --  --  --  --Totals  27  4  8  27  10