UNIVERSITY EIGHT MAKES FLASHY TRIAL

Crew Squad the Guest of J. Pierpont Morgan Yesterday--Oarsmen Entertained Aboard the Corsair

New London, Conn., June 12--After their fast time trial yesterday afternoon on the Thames, Coach E. J. Brown '96 gave the University eight a respite today, permitting the squad to accept the invitation of J. Pierpont Morgan '89 to spend the day aboard his palatial steam yacht, Corsair. Yale's first and second crews are also inactive, taking an excursion as the guests of General W. W. Skiddy on his trim power cruiser, Runabout.

Both respites are the results of strenuous workouts yesterday evening when the Crimson and Eli first eights had each a four-mile speed trial, the University oarsmen rowing down the course about one hour before their rivals. A tide favored the boat, as well as a light northwest wind.

The University eight rowed the four miles in 20 minutes and 50 seconds, which is considered very fast for a practice pull.

The time in half-miles is: Half mile, 2.33; mile, 5.05; mile and half, 7.35; two mile, 10.17; two and one-half miles, 12.52; three mile, 15.34; three and one-half miles, 18.08; four miles, 20.50.

The University crew was paced by the second eight for only a mile, the Seconds picking up the first eight at the mile and a half mark, then dropping out at the two and a half mile stake.

Coach Brown was close astern in a launch and watched his men closely as they sped down the course. There was very little splashing and the boat rode with remarkable smoothness. A 36 beat was registered at the start, then John Watts '28, University stroke, lowered the beat to 32, maintaining that gait until close to the finish, when he raised it again to 36.

Bingham Looks On From Launch

The oarsmen appeared to be in good condition when the test ended. They were bundled into blankets after a short rest and taken back to the boat-house in two coaching launches, the shell being towed by one of them. In the launch with Coach Brown were W. J. Bingham '16, the University's Athletic Director, and R. F. Herrick '90, for many years head of the University's rowing committee.

After the Harvard contingent had returned to Red Top the launches, well filled with spectators, were again headed across the river and in a few moments were following a respectful distance after the Yale University eight, which was being tried out for the fun four miles.

Yale's time in half miles follows: Half miles 2.33; mile, 5.10; mile and a half, 7.47; two miles, 10.23; two and one-half miles, 12.55; three miles, 15.36; three and one-half miles, 18.10, four miles, 20.52.

The Yale crew was not paced when it rowed the course, and the time reeled off by Leader's charges, 20.52, two seconds slower than Harvard's time, shows that the New Haven oarsmen are formidable. The exhibition shows that the two eights are very evenly matched and a close contest is foreseen for the afternoon of June 24.

The other Crimson crews were given light work near quarters yesterday. Some hard time rows were given earlier in the day and the respective coaches believed they needed rest after the heat of the day.