ALUMNI COMMITTEE MAKES FIRST REPORT

Believes University Should Publish Official Bulletin--Harvard Fund Has Dual Purpose

The first report of the Committee on Relations with the Alumni, appointed by the Board of Overseers in February, 1923, has just been published and sets forth its activities during the four years of its existence. In this time the Committee has acted as the medium between the University and the graduates and has taken steps to facilitate such relations in the future by recommending that an official bulletin of information be published by the University and distributed without charge three or four times annually to each graduate.

The Committee reported further that it considered at length the situation at the time of the severing of relations with Princeton and made a report to the Board of Overseers. It took action also in approbation of the President in condemning certain articles in undergraduate publications and approved the appointment of a committee to confer with the Athletic Committee and the Student Council.

In its attempt to keep the alumni informed of at least some of the activities of the University the Committee had published in the Spring of 1925 in the Alumni Bulletin a series of articles by men who were in close touch. Among the contributors were such men as President Lowell, Bishop William Lawrence '71, Professor G. H. Chase '96, Mr. Henry Pennypacker and Dean D. L. Edsall.

The Committee reports its endeavor to assist the Harvard Fund in every way, saying that it believes the Fund to be "not only a source of free income but a very vital link between the University and its former students."

The Committee on Relations with the Alumni was appointed by the Board of Overseers in 1923 to deal with all matters having to do with the relations of the University and alumni" in response to the prevalent complaint of various Harvard Clubs and the Alumni Association of the lack of such a connecting link. The Committee consists of three members of the Board of Overseers and has the President of the University and the presidents of the Alumni Association and the Associated Harvard Clubs as ex-officio members.

Since the autumn of 1923, the Overseer members have been E. C. Felton, '79, W. C. Boyden, '86, T. W. Slocum, '90, and L. P. Marvin, '98, chairman; President Lowell has represented the University at large: E. T. Sanford, '85, C. H. Grandgent, '83, T. W. Lamont, '92, and T. N. Perkins, '91, have represented the Alumni Association; and C. T. Greve, '84, G. A. Morison, '00, William Thomas, '73, J. W. Hallowell, '01, and Evan Rollister, '97, have represented the Associated Harvard Clubs. Since the creation of the office J. W. D. Seymour, '17, has been Secretary for Alumni Affairs, and secretary to the committee.