B. H. WHITBECK '29 WILL CAPTAIN 1928 NET TEAM

TWO FRESHMEN MAY BE IN TRIO FOR TRIP TO EUROPE

Brainerd Hunt Whitbeck Jr. '29, of Bronxville, New York, was chosen yesterday to lead the Harvard tennis team next spring. He will succeed his brother J. F. W. Whitbeck '27. The new Crimson net leader has been playing number 4 on the team this spring and although he is not the equal of his brother on the court, he has displayed an excellent brand of tennis in his matches this spring.

The competition for the three Harvard members of the combined Yale-Harvard net team which will travel abroad this nummer has narrowed down to four men, two of whom are Freshmen. Captain J. F. W. Whitbeck '27, L. H. Gordon '27, Captain M. L. Bill '30 of the Freshman net team, and Arthur Ingraham Jr. '30 are the quartet who have survived the elimination trials which have been in progress for the past month.

Whitbeck has yet to be beaten in the trials, although he has still one more match to play. Hill and Ingraham, who have been ranked in the first two places on the Freshman court team this spring, have beaten every man on the University team with the single exception of Captain Whitbeck. Gordon, although he has lost to the two Freshman stars, has a chance of becoming a member of the trio if he defeats Captain Whitbeck. If Gordon is successful in this match, he will probably have to play over the matches with the two first year men.

Although the success of Hill and Ingraham in their trials with the first team players comes as a surprise, the pair are by no means inexperienced players. Hill is national junior doubles champion and has been a prominent figure in interscholastic tourneys in the recent years, while Ingraham, who is a brother of W. W. Ingraham who captained the Harvard tennis team in 1925, was the outstanding star of the Exeter tennis team, leading the schoolboy group to a team victory in the Harvard Interscholastic last spring.