University Track and Field Forces Elect O'Neil to Lead 1928 Team--Succeeds E. C. Haggerty '27

Albert Henry O'Neil '28 of West Roxbury, yesterday was unanimously elected captain of the 1928, University track team by the 1927 lettermen gathered at Notman's for the squad picture. He succeeds E. C. Haggerty '27, this year's leader of the Crimson track and field forces.

O'Neil prepared for the University at Exeter, where he captained the Red and Gray runners in his last year. Running in his last schoolboy meet against Andover, he won both the quarter and half miles, being clocked in 50 seconds for the 440 and 1 minute 57 seconds in the 880 times which almost landed him on the United States Olympic team.

In 1924, representing Exeter in the Harvard Interscholastic Meet, under miserable weather conditions, he travelled the half mile distance in 1 minute 68 1-6 seconds to break the meet record for this event set up by W. J. Bingham '16 when the present Harvard athletic director was Exeter's track captain.

As a Freshman two years ago, O'Neil was captain of his team, and one of the 1928 track men's most steady performers.

Last year he never quite reached his best times, but this was in a large measure due to a bothersome leg muscle injury which, while not serious, prevented consistent performances.

This year, O'Neil was an able second in Captain Haggerty in the half, but failed to place against Yale when he was accidentally spiked. He took fourth behind Hogan of Yale, and Haggarty and Porier of Harvard. This injury also prevented his participation in the Interoollegiates at Philadelphia last Saturday.