Appearance of "Tiger" in 1882 Made Lampy Quake in His Roomy Boots--Princeton Periodical Early Showed Promise

Less than 40 years ago the Harvard "Lampoon" held undisputed sway in the field of college humor. With only one rival, the Columbia "Spectator", the wits from Mt. Auburn Street could boast a circulation and a reputation which was without equal. Then into the Cambridge jester's existence of placid dignity and lonely rule was suddenly hurled a disturbing, challenging bolt in the form of the first Princeton "Tiger"

The first issue of the "Tiger" appeared in March, 1882, and elicited the following editorial comment from the "Harvard Daily Herald", which then held the position of regular University news organ: "A screaming 'Tiger', going about seeking whom it may devour, has made its appearance in the college world, starting out from the savage jungles of Princeton to seek its fortune. Lampy and the lbis have each donned a roomy pair of boots, and now employ all their leisure industriously quaking in those boots for dread of him. He growls, he snarls, he meweth dainty verses, he screams in ferocious farces--but will he bite? And can he withstand the seductive charms of a Barnum, for how can one little, Tiger, however fierce he may be, make a menngerie all by himself? Can a feather go off in a corner and flock alone by itself? But he is a very strong Tiger and very, very fierce, and his claws are sharp, and they make very astonishing cuts in the wood. But perhaps the Tiger is only sharpening his claws. Who will cage this Tiger?"

A subsequent comment on the impending struggle between the new and the old representatives of the wit that emanates from colleges says: "A third competitor has now entered the field in the form of the Princeton 'Tiger': and although no judgement can fairly be made from a single number, and that a first issue, it seems likely that the 'Tiger' may prove itself some time a rival by no means to be despised. Naturally we doubt if the 'Lampoon' is in any imminent danger of being surpassed by either the 'Spectator' or the 'Tiger', but a healthy and friendly emulation can do no harm, and may result in a considerable improvement in all three."