HOLD DEDICATION OF McKINLOCK HALL

General Gives Account of McKinlock's Last Battle--Thayer and Greenough Also Speak

McKinlock Hall, the latest addition to the Freshman dormitory group, which was erected in memory of George Alexander McKinlock Jr. '16, was formally dedicated yesterday afternoon. The ceremony, which was held in the McKinlock quadrangle before a small number of McKinlock's college friends and a large part of the students now living in McKinlock Hall, consisted of an introductory address by President Lowell and speeches by General C. P. Summerall, commander of the division in which McKinlock served, Dr. W. G. Thayer, Headmaster of St. Marks's School, and Dean C. N. Greenough '9S.

General Summerall gave a detailed account of the engagement in which McKinlock lost his life. At the height of the German advance in the spring of 1918 Marshal Foch began to gather his forces for a counter advance. The first division of Americans was with the tenth French army which was in the van of the new forces thrown in the way of the victorious enemy. McKinlock was with the first division as a brigade staff officer and was scouting the German lines on intelligence duty when he fell. His death did not come, however, until he had rendered important service in the winning of the first signal success of the final allied drive.

Dr. Thayer, who had known McKinlock as a student at St. Mark's, paid tribute to the high character and dauntless courage which had always been distinguishing traits of his. Dean Greenough, the last speaker of the exercises, set forth briefly the value of the gift made by Mr. and Mrs. McKinlock to Harvard and in particular to the members of future Freshman classes, as well as the appropriate character of such a gift as a memorial to a former Harvard student who lost his life in the Great War.