MACLAGEN CHOSEN AS INCUMBENT OF CHAIR OF POETRY

Professor Moszul Gives Second Half-Year Course on Shelley--Scholar to Hold Seminar

Professor Eric R. D. Maclagen, Director and Secretary of the Victoria and Albert Museum, South Kensington, London, has been chosen as the incumbent of the Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry for the coming year.

Professor Maclagen is one of the leading scholars in the United Kingdom. During his residence at the University he will give ten public lectures at the New Fogg Museum on "Italian Renaissance Sculpture", and will hold individual conferences with students working on various forms of poetry. He may give a seminar for graduate students in the second half of the academic year.

Succeeding Gilbert Murray of Oxford, Professor Maclagen is the second occupant of the Charles Eliot Norton Chair, founded by the late C. C. Stillman '98. The holders of the chair are not confined to literary forms of poetry alone, but may treat music, painting, sculpture, architecture, or any branch of poetic art. Last year Professor Murray treated "The Classical Tradition in English Poetry."

Professors from other foreign universities will hold lectureships at the University this year. Professor Andre Moszul, of the University of Strasbourg, France, will lecture in the English Department in the second half-year. A course on Shelley and one on Romance in French versification will occupy his time, and it is expected that he will speak on aspects of the English language as seen by a foreigner.

From Austria comes Professor A. F. Pribram, Professor of History in the University of Vienna. The special field to be covered by his lectures is divided into courses on the history of the Hapsburg Empire and on England's relations with France and Germany at the end of the nineteenth century.

Professor Adolph Goldschmidt of the University of Berlin is another European scholar who will reside at the University during the year. One of the greatest living medievalists, he will give seminars on medieval illumination and sculpture. In the first half-year he will speak at the Germanic Museum, and in the second half, at the New Fogg Museum.