FRENCH STARS IN FIRST SCRIMMAGE

Seconds Score Safety for Initial Tall of Season--G. C. Burns '29 Shift to Team A Berth

A. E. French '29, speedy halfback on last year's eleven, who has been kept out of scrimmage this fall on account of an injured knee, stepped into the University backfield in yesterday's house and a quarter battle between regular and scrubs and on his first attempt a carrying the ball broke away for a 4 yard run. It was the third consecutive day that Coach Arnold Horween '20 has treated his Crimson-jerseyed charges to a taste of scrimmage and as yet no serious injuries are reported for any member of the squad.

That the team A backfield combination of D. F. Kelley '28, David Guanaccia '29, J. P. Crosby '28, and T. Moore '29, which until yesterday has been working together in all this fall scrimmages and signal drills, was no regarded by the coaches as a final choice was shown yesterday by the appearance of S. C. Burns '29 in the fulback position in place of Moore at the beginning of the afternoon's scrimmage. Burns, who was shift from end to back after the first few days of practice this yet has been in providing rapidly in his new position, an now seems a likely starter-against Vermont Saturday. He demonstrated his ability as a running back early in yesterday's scrimmage by catching a scru punt deep in his own territory an running it back to within striking distance of the opposing goal line.

After Burns and Guarnaccia had combined to put over the first touchdown the regulars found the going rather di-

ficult for quite a while and it was not until late in the scrimmage that they got going to put over their last two tallies. It looked as though a score were in the offing when French took his place at halfback for a few minutes and ripped off his 50 yard dash. Shortly before this the Seconds had worked the ball 50 yards to the University 20 yard line. A 35 yard forward pass had been the main factor in this drive. But on the 20 yard marker the Crimson defense became adamant, and a moment later Crosby broke away for a 35 yard run. French went in for Crosby and carrying the ball for the first time this year put his teammates within a few yards of the opposing goal line. But here the University fumbled and an exchange of kicks put the ball out of the danger zone.

Some more kicking followed and then the University attack got going. With G. C. Holbrook '30 doing more than half the carrying the regular backs marched 80 yards for a touchdown. A few minutes later G. K. Brown '28, who had been sent in at quarter caught a kick on his own 42 yard line and ran through a broken field for a touchdown. The University forwards, however, were offside on the play and the ball was brought back. W. B. Jones '28 went in for Brown and on the ensuing exchange of kicks repeated Brown's feat by carrying the pigskin 48 yards for the final score of the scrimmage.

Every one on the squad who was in uniform got a chance in yesterday's scrimmage, the players going in in the following order: l.e., John Prior '29, R. H. O'Connell '30; l.t., J. E. Barrett '30, T. H. Alcock '28, l.g., John Parkinson '29, F. S. Davis '30; c., Dudley Bell '28, R. W. Turner '28, A. B. Bigelow '30, B. H. Dorman '29; q.b., D. J. Kelley '28, H. W. Burns '28, G. K. Brown '28, W. B. Jones '28; h.bs., David Guarnaccia '29, J. P. Crosby '28, A. E. French '29, J. V. N. Hitch '30, G. E. Donaghy '29, W. R. Harper '30; f.b., S. C. Burns '29, T. G. Moore '29, G. C. Holbrook '30