Visiting Britishers Annoyed by Lack of Shoe Polish and Polishers--"Cutting In" at Dances Seen as Dangerous

"It was somewhat of a surprise to us this morning in McKinlock Hall when we gathered in our shoes, placed trustfully outside the door and found them quite unpolished," asserted F. J. Nugee, assistant headmaster of Radley School to a CRIMSON scribe. "Our boots have been getting rather more and more disgraceful since we came to this country. No time and place to have them furbished up, you know."

This was the chief comment vouchsafed by the leader of the English visitors at Harvard yesterday afternoon. He was very much gratified when he was informed that Harvard Square abounded in wielders of the brush and shine cloth.

"In England, you know, even in the colleges, we have fellows to attend to the shoes placed outside the bedroom door. It's a great saving of time. Wonder you haven't thought of it here," he commented.

The almost unanimous complaint of the British boys was in regard to the astonishing American vice of "cutting in" at dances.

"It's dashed bad stuff," declared R. C. Henderson, their spokesman, "you would get chucked out of any English dance for pulling such a steal. Why, you can't rush a real stunner for a minute without getting broken up by some lad. It's a regular scrim! And I say, if you aren't careful do you know, you might trot away the whole night with one partner. On and off on schedule is our ticket. Lots better."

A discussion of the virtues of the one and two piece bathing suit ended up the interview. The British variety, it seems, is strictly one piece a la Deauville. A strong case in support of this garment was made out by the visitors.

"Looks a bit balmier" was the succinct remark which covered the entire subject in an adequate and expressive fashion.