IRISH RADICAL FIGHTING FOR UNPREJUDICED DAILY

ASKS UNITED STATES TO RAISE HALF MILLION DOLLARS

"If we get fair play we don't want anything else, because I'm sure we will win if we get that" were the words of "Chief" De Valera, radical leader in Ireland, in an interview at the Copley Plaza last night. The chief is visiting the United States to collect money enabling him to found an unprejudiced daily paper in Ireland. He talked English with a strong Irish accent as he put forth the main purpose for his short visit to America.

"We need an Irish national newspaper which is to be open to all questions concerning the country. A broad, liberal policy should be pursued. No doctoring or coloring of the news columns by one party will be allowed although, of course, we shall put forth our point of view in the editorials."

De Valera pointed out that it was necessary to obtain a million dollars in advance to enable them to found the paper. One half of this amount is to be raised in the United States. Massachusetts is expected to contribute $75,000: this money is being raised by contributions in shares of $500 each.

Commenting on economic conditions abroad, De Valera said that they were "not what we desire. Immigration and unemployment are our two big problems. The young people are still leaving the country. We must help them gain self-confidence. Why, Ireland can produce its own food, clothes, and shelter; we're a self-producing people and we even export a surplus of agricultural products. To show the people all this an honest newspaper is essential."

Turning to the state of politics in Ireland De Valera said that his party had advanced from 22 to 45 and now had 57 members, only a half dozen less than the opposing party.