CANADA HAILS GLEE CLUB AS OFFICIAL U. S. ENVOYS

PRESS LAUDS PERFORMANCES OF UNIVERSITY ORGANIZATION

The University Glee Club travelled north to Canada after giving two opening concerts in New York State during the Christmas vacation. An unprecedented reception awaited them as they were not only welcomed as a representation from Harvard but also as an official delegation from the people of the United States.

Following soon after Lord Wellingdon's visit to the University and Washington, the Glee Club was received as a return delegation aiding in reinforcing the bonds between the two neighboring countries. Both musically and socially the reception was the warmest accorded the club since its European trip several years ago, according to W. C. Atwater '28, president of the organization.

The house was sold out on the first evening when an enthusiastic public surpassed all former audiences in the amount of applause, at Town Hall in New York City. Proceeding to Troy the next day the men were received at a tea dance at the Country Club, whence they returned to the city proper to give an evening concert before another eager audience. The majority of the club passed the weekend as guests of the University of Toronto where nothing was left undone for the comfort and pleasure of the visitors. On Tuesday evening an audience, notable among which were the Canadian Ambassador to the United States and the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, gave the club a great ovation in Convocation Hall which could not have been surpassed. The Toronto press commented, saying that the club had "created a furore" and that "those persons who stayed away from the Harvard chair concert missed the finest exhibition Toronto has heard in many a day."

Reaching Ottawa the next day the men were received at luncheon by the American Minister to Canada Later they were entertained at a tea in Government House by Lord and Lady Wellington McKenzie King, premier of Canada and many other notables. At the concert that evening the singers were again accorded an enthusiastic welcome. Press comment was favorable saying that "if anything is incomparable or unique, it is without an equal. It seems to me that the two words might justly be applied to the Harvard Glee Club, at any rate I have yet to hear its equal though I have heard many of the best European malevoice choirs."