FALL PLANS ARE MADE BY DEBATING COUNCIL

FIFTEEN MEN WERE IN TRIALS YESTERDAY

Among the debates planned for the coming year by the Harvard Debating Council, it was announced last night by J. M. Swigert '30, president of the council, that there will probably be two debates with girls' colleges. Smith, Mount Holyoke, Vassar, and Bryn Mawr colleges have already expressed their willingness to debate with the Harvard orators. Of these, Smith and Vassar are the most likely to be the two with which the council will meet.

Date With Yale Unsettled

At a late hour last night the date of the two Yale debates had not been definitely decided. Both debates will be on the proposition, Resolved: That "Al" Smith should be elected president.

In the first debate, which will be in Boston, Harvard will take the affirmative, while Yale will take the affirmative in New Haven.

The Yale debate was scheduled to take place in Jordan Hall, but the widespread interest in the campaign, and the success of the Harvard-Boston University debate held last spring on the same subject have made it seem advisable to hold the debate this fall in either Symphony Hall or the Boston Opera House.

The larger part of the Council's schedule is determines by the Eastern Intercollegiate Debating League, and has not yet been announced.

Competitions Still Open

Fifteen men spoke for five minutes each in the tryouts held yesterday for the Yale debate, while several more are expected to speak tomorrow afternoon in the New Lecture Hall at 4 o'clock. Many of these men have had no debating experience.

Some time during the first week in December three men from the Council will debate with three Chinese students on the proposition. Resolved: That the Oriental philosophy is more conducive to a happy life than the philosophy of the West.