HARVARD ASTROLOGERS IN PERU GO TO AFRICA

SEVEN BUILDINGS TO BE ERECTED ON NEW SITE

The southern station of the Harvard Observatory situated in Peru has now been moved completely to South Africa because of unfavorable weather conditions at its location in South America. A base has been established 14 miles from the town of Bloemfontein and it was announced yesterday that the contract has been let for the construction of seven buildings which are to house the telescopes and provide for offices, a library, servants quarters and garage, as well as a residence for the superintendent.

Another Building to be Erected

Another building is to be erected sometime in the future from a 60 inch reflecting telescope now being made in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. When this telescope is finally set up it will be the largest in operation below the equator.

Observatory Receives Deeds

The 'Harvard' Observatory in Cambridge has just received the deeds of the land upon which the new southern observatory is to be built. The land is the gift of the city of Bloemfontein which purchased it from Boer farmers and added it to a small tract which was already owned by the University. The city is also storing the telescopes, which cannot be established until the buildings have been finished, as well as furnishing the architects and engineers for the proposed improvements.

Two Telescopes in Service

At present the University has a temporary building at the foot of the so-called Harvard kopje where two telescopes have been in operation for a year. It will take eight months for the new buildings to be constructed it is stated.

Assistant Professor W. J. Luyten has just arrived in South Africa to stay for a year and to help the superintendent, J. S. Paraskevopoulos, in the foundation of the new establishment.

All of the necessary telescopes are now on the location with the exception of the 60 inch one being manufactured in this country.