DRIVE FOR HANGAR STARTED BY FLIERS

Graduate Committee Approves Plan for Campaign up to Christmas--Ground to be Broken Next Spring

The Harvard Flying Club is to have a new hangar of its own, according to plans announced by R. B. Bell '30, president of the club, last night. A drive for $25,000 has just been started. This plan has been sanctioned by the Graduate Committee.

The hangar will serve three definite purposes. First, it will give the club a permanent asset which will serve as a form of insurance for the clubs continued operation and success. Second, it will provide a steady source of income (plus a saving of the rent now paid) which will allow the club to increase its operations, and to maintain flying at a cheaper rate than is now possible. Third, it will provide valuable experience for club members, many of whom plan to make commercial aviation their career.

Airport to be Rebuilt

The East Boston Airport is to be completely done over according to plans adopted to make it one of the leading airports in the United States. The field, upon which work has already been started, is to be trebled in size, and all the hangars are to be torn down and new, ultra-modern ones built. The Flying Club hangar will be constructed in accordance with the plans for the new airport.

There are two plans under consideration for the hangar itself. First, to use all the money in constructing a large commercial hangar which could be rented as a single unit. Second, to use part of the funds to build a small hangar for club use primarily, and to invest the remainder to serve as a permanent endowment fund which would allow the club to increase its operations and to lower its flying rates. The question can not be definitely decided until the plan for the Boston airport is agreed upon.

The club hopes to conclude the drive for funds by Christmas so that work may be started on the hangar in the spring. The Graduate Committee has agreed to the plans for the drive