SOLID SOUTH WILL DIVIDE SAYS BEALE

Crimson Poll is Regarded Good Basis for Judging Election--Results in Business School Significant

"The 'solid South' is going to be a lot less solid this year than ever before," asserted Professor J. H. Beale of the Law School in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter last evening.

"I have just returned from a trip to Washington, D. C.," he continued, "and the opinion there is that several of the Middle Atlantic states such as Virginia, North Carolina, and West Virginia have gone over quite definitely to Hoover, Maryland, however, will probably remain Democratic.

Good Harvest Aids G. O. P.

"There was an unusually good wheat harvest this year in the Western states and as that always has the effect of making the people satisfied with the existing regime, Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma will doubtless vote pretty solidly for Hoover. The far West will go all Hoover, and the far South will probably stay Democratic.

"The only chance Smith has is to carry all the doubtful states, this he cannot do as these states are giving more and more indications of a definite Republican plurality. Kentucky, even, will vote for Hoover with a definite majority. I do not believe, however, that Smith's lead in New York City can be overcome by a Republican lead upstate.

Crimson Poll Interesting

"Your CRIMSON poll is one of the most interesting that can be taken, including as it does representative voters from all parts of the country."

In reply to a query as to why the Law School went for Smith, Professor Beale replied that the Law School had always showed a Democratic majority. "The Business School is more apt to be a fair representation of the feelings of the country as a whole than is the Law School."