LOTHROP RESIGNS POST AT PEABODY

Dr. Edward Reynolds Performing Duties of Office--Retired Recently from Brilliant Surgical Career

The resignation of Samuel K. Lothrop '15, from the directorship of the Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology has just been announced.

Dr. Lothrop was to have taken office on September 1, but never assumed the duties of his position.

The functions of the office are temporarily being discharged by Dr. Edward Reynolds '81, Associate Curator of Somatology in the Peabody Museum. Dr. Reynolds has been a prominent surgeon in Boston for many years, and retired only recently.

Dr. Lothrop was director of the Peabody Museum expedition to Central America in 1916-17, and an associate in Anthropology at Harvard during the year 1919-20. From 1916 to 1923 he was research assistant in Anthropology at the Carnegie Institution, Washington, D. C.; in 1922 a member of the Carnegie Institution expedition to Yucatan and Guatemala; in 1923 in charge of excavations at Ketchipann, N. M., in the joint interests of the Museum of the American Indian and Cambridge University; in 1925 in charge of the joint excavations in the delta of the Parana River, South America. Since 1923 he has filled the position of research associate in the Museum of the American Indian, New York City.

Dr. Lothrop was preceded in the Peabody Museum by C. C. Willoughby, who after serving in the capacity of director since 1915, resigned last January.