Two Combinations of Equal Strength Gain 23 First Downs--37 Players See Action Against Springfield

BACKS POWERFUL

Rushing and passing the ball for a total distance of over 300 yards, gaining 23 first downs, the 1928 model of the Harvard football team overwhelmed a game Springfield College eleven by a 30 to 9 count. Coach Horween used 37 of the 39 men ready for action on Soldiers Field Saturday, changing the lineup bewilderingly in an effort to give all his players a test under fire.

The Crimson combination showed more power fundamentally than any University team in recent years. Springfield, although fighting stubbornly, was considerably inferior to the Harvard eleven and did not offer it a very severe test. The forward wall, averaging 187 pounds, showed great lift and coordination on the offense, but had little opportunity to prove its worth on the defensive. It was the line's aggressive driving and almost perfect clearing that paved the way for the success of the off-tackle slants which netted the Crimson most of its yardage.

Coach Horween's first and second-string backfields proved equally effective, showing infinite possibilities. Speed, shiftiness, and drive, coupled with ability to flash an accurate aerial attack, augur well for the season. The interference carried out its assignments well for the most part, taking out Springfield's secondary defense on the end runs and clearing the holes made by the line on the plays through the opposing forward wall. Four forward passes were attempted, two of which succeeded. S. L. Batchelder '31 was on the passing end of both of these, with T. W. Gilligan '31 receiving. This combination looks like one of the best forward passing threats Harvard has had in some time.

Toward the close of the contest. David Guarnaccia '29 tossed a lateral to A. E. French '29. The play, which was worked successfully last year, netted a 16-yard gain. Considerable em- phasis was placed on this play at the start of the training session, and it seems as if it will be one of the offensive tricks to be held in reserve.

French and Gilligan were the individual stars of the contest, the former making two of the four touchdowns besides doing most of the ball carrying which resulted in the other scores, Gilligan, stepping high and shifty, was always a dangerous threat in the open field. He is also an adept in the drop-kicking line.

The summary follows:

Score--Harvard, 30; Springfield, 0. Touch-downs--French 2, Guarnaccia, Batchelder, Goals after touchdowns--E. Putnam 2, Gilligan. Field goal--Gilligan. Referee--W. T. Halloran, Providence. Umpire-T. J. McCabe, Holy Cross. Linesman--A. B. Maginnes, Lehigh. Field Judge--A. R. Dorman, Columbia. Time--12 minute quarters.

HARVARD  SPRINGFIELDPickard, Burns, Baldwin, Prior, l.e.  r.e., J. Clark, HerrBarrett, Davis, Alcock, l.t.  r.t., Allen, VaughanTrainer, W. Ticknor, Movius, Shaw, l.g.  r.g., G. Clark, TozierB. Ticknor, Dorman, Richards, c.  c., LimbaughParkinson, Warner, Cunningham, r.g.  l.g., Wolynec, NicodemusClark, Robinson, Storey, r.t.  l.t., Jenkins, GeesmanDouglas, O'Connell, Harding, Ogden, r.e.  l.e., Hammond, BlumenstockE. Putnum, Gilligan, S. Putnam, Greeley q.b.  q.b., WilliamsonFrench, Batchelder, Graves, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Lindeman, BellGuarnaccia, Mason, Grant, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Duncan, CrowellHarper, Huguley, Moore, f.b.  f.b., Rood, Johnso