Professor Rand Believes That Only One "House" Should be Established Residents Should be Chosen on Grades

The following statement about the proposed "House" plan was made to the Crimson by Professor E. K. Rand '94, of the Department of the Classics.

In the main I approve of the new "House" plan but it seems to me that some features of it have been greatly distorted and some reduced. I do not like the idea of having a merely social center made out of the proposed "House". To me its highest function is one of reward for scholastic attainment.

Primarily the "House" should have a good number of resident "Fellows" who are living in comfortable quarters and accomplishing great things in scholarship. These "Fellows" will be an inspiration to undergraduates who will see some of the rewards on scholastic accomplishment.

In the first selection of men for the "House" ones of good standing should be chosen primarily although not solely on the basis of grades listed at the Dean's office. Men who are really interested in their studies and realize the true value of academic attainments will form the most valuable nucleus for the occupants of the "House". I do not mean merely grinds. It is difficult to interpret but there is a definite criterion which may be used to judge applicants on the basis of true scholarly mindedness.

In the second place if the "House" is used primarily as a social center it will not appeal to club men on the basis and it will be necessary to urge athletes and socially prominent undergraduates to join. Its true function is above merely a basis of pleasant companionship although that will naturally enter in as a result of the higher ideals.

Also I would far rather see one "House" well carried out with "Fellows" as the nucleus around which the whole community is built than the two "Houses" without "Fellows".

The problem of married professors and tutors is going to be a big one. I suppose it would be possible to appoint only bachelors as "Fellows". That problem will have to be settled before much progress can be made.