SQUAD OF 60 ATTENDS FIRST HOCKEY MEETING

STUBBS, TUDOR, AND THORNDIKE ADDRESS GATHERING

Sixty candidates reported at the opening meeting of the University hockey season at the Varsity Club yesterday. Joseph Stubbs '20 coach of the Crimson sextet Captain John Tudor '29, Dr. Augustus Thorudike Jr. '17 and Manager A. S. Woodworth '29 addressed the meeting.

Coach Stubbs said that in spite of the promising material which was available both Yale and Dartmouth were slated to have good teams and that there were grounds for over confidence. Although there are six letter men returning he said that no position on the team was certain. He also announced that a larger squad will be retained this year to train them for another year.

The returning veterans are Captain Tudor A. S. Bigelow '29 H. W. Bigelow '29, F. R. G. Giddens '30, G. C. Holbrook '30, and C. B. Lakin '30. Several stellar performers on last year's Freshman team should furnish stiff competition for berths on this year's University team. The most promising candidates from the Class of 1931 are J. B. Garrison '31, and S. L. Batchelder '31. There are also a host of other men who have been ineligible or not quite first string callbre in former years.

Official practice will begin a week from today in the new Madison Square Garden Rink. All this week will be spent in running and limbering up exercises on Soldiers Field. The opening game is scheduled for December 12 against M. I. T.

Dr. Thorndike addressed the squad on keeping training and conditioning. Captain Tudor stressed the necessity for men not on the first string to work hard for a first team berth.