UNIVERSITY SEXTET WINS OPENER, 9 TO 1

Sophomore Garrison, Makes Debut With Crimson, Flashes at Center in First Period

The Crimson hockey team inaugurated its 1929 season by crushing the Massachusetts Institute of Technology sextet under a 9 to 1 score at the new Boston Garden last night. The contest was dull in the extreme brightened only at rare moments by brilliant dashes the length of the ice in the person of J. B. Garrison '31.

Despite the fact that the University sextet at no time attained brilliance in last night's scrimmage, the performance was slightly above the usual mediocrity of an opening game, and augurs well for a season as successful as that of last winter. Coordination was lacking in the attack, but a distinct promise for a strong passing attack, particularly in the first-string line, was manifest. The post which Coach Stubbs desired most to test, that of goal, still remains an uncertain quality due to the Engineers' weak defense. It will receive its first real trial in the game with the University Club next Monday. The veteran defense combination of A. S. Bigelow and H. W. Bigelow seems stronger than that of last year, while the offense is fully as strong with Captain John Tudor '29 and F. R. G. Giddens '30 as wingmen. It is probable that Garrison will be a strong contender for the center position, now held by Guy Holbrook '30.

The University first scored after six minutes of play, when Garrison, who had just replaced Holbrook, made the goal unassisted, dribbling from center ice. Shortly after Giddens made a slow dash the length, got free, but Riley, the Technology goalie and the outstanding player of his team, made a brilliant save

Crosby, visiting forward, scored the Engineers' only score during the first 30 seconds of play in the second period, while two Harvard men were off the ice. Two minutes later, Giddens tallied twice in quick succession, one unassisted and one on a rebound from Tudor's stick. The Crimson captain added two more counters to the total on passes from Holbrook and Stanley respectively, and Everett scored on a rebound to close the period.

The Technology team played during the last half on fairly even terms with the Crimson.

The summary:

HARVARD  M. I. T.Tudor, Cross, Watts, l.w. r.w.,  Ceene, HoranHolbrook, Garrison, Everett, c.  c., Crosby, MeadeGiddens, Lakin, Pruyn, r.w.  l.w., White, FordH. Bigelow, Stanley, Shearor, l.d.  r.d., CullinamA. Bigelow, Covel, r.d. l.d.,  Lucey, HazeltineNewell, Elkins, Jackson, g.  g., Rile