"FIESTA" ESCAPES CITY'S CENSORSHIP

Leatherbee Upholds H. D. C. Current Production -- Graduate Board Has Approved Manuscript

Contrary to predictions made earlier in the day, the Harvard Dramatic Club play, "Fiesta", was not closed by the authorities last night.

A complaint was received yesterday morning by Chief J. J. McBride of the Cambridge force from a local lawyer to the effect that the play was, "Crude, immoral, and unfit for production." Accordingly, Chief McBride sent police Sergeants Odell and Presho to go to the play, make notes on it, and bring back a report as to its fitness for presentation. Sergeant Odell, when interviewed by the CRIMSON reporter, said he had no remarks to make, but it was seen that he had been taking detailed notes. Sergeant Presho was unwilling to make any official statement, but intimated that the play was a little bit rough--it could be smoothed over in places.

C. C. Leatherbee '29, President of the Dramatic Club, said that it had never been their policy to present plays bordering upon the limits of moral turpitude to such an extent as to be provocative of suspension, whether for purposes of publicity or otherwise; but that they had followed only the practice of producing new dramas which have never before been acted in public. Leatherbee also said that each play, before rehearsals even have started, is first passed by a graduate board, among whom are: Professor F. C. Packard '20, Winthrop Ames '95, Professor J. S. P. Tatlock '96, Walter Prichard Eaton '90, Professor G. P. Baker '87, and others. Further, Leatherbee added that "Fiesta" had been gone over thoroughly several times and that all such lines as might, through misinterpretation or otherwise, be offensive to good taste had been "cut."