University Band Takes the Air on WNAC After Concluding Gridiron Season--Letter-forming Handicaps Giant Drum

Tonight at 8 o'clock, a Harvard Night program will be broadcasted through radio station WNAC by the University Band in conjunction with the American Legion. The concert will be staged at Roseland Dance Hall as a charity benefit.

The University Band is the main attraction of the evening, but there will also be a speech by Wesley H. Murray, Vice County Commander of the Middlesex County Council of the American Legion.

The program will be as follows:

The University Band

Our Director.

Medley of Harvard Songs.

Down the Field.

Boola Boola.

Up the Street.

Yo Ho.

As the Backs Go Tearing By.

Benny Havens.

Fair Harvard.

The Star Spangled Banner.

The Band has been growing steadily in size and importance in the last few years. In 1926, there were only 60 members, in 1927, there were about 65; and this year there are almost 80. Seventy-two of these men played at the last Yale game, after having first dined at the Harvard Club of New York and heard a talk on the fine points of football by Coach Blake.

Their spectacular letter-forming was one of the features of the day at New Haven, but that same feature unfortunately prevented the use of the big drum which is too unwieldy for use in anything but straight marching.

Part of Harvard's good fortune on last November 24 is claimed by the Band to be due to the fact that H. L. Holland 1L, the drum-major, made three successive passes over Yale's goalposts without a mistake. Holland, however, in spite of this fine record, is abdicating in favor of one of several candidates whom he will recommend. One of these will be elected drum-major by the members of the Band. The results of this election will be announced about December 17.

Band enthusiasts will be glad to learn that the organization is not breaking up at the end of the football season this year as it has done in the past, but that it will continue and play at the more important hockey games, including those with Yale, Dartmouth, and two or three others.