FRESHMEN MEET ANDOVER ON SCHOOLBOYS' TRACK

HANDICAPPED BY LACK OF POLE VAULT AND SHOT PUT MATERIAL

Engaging in an indoor meet with Andover this afternoon at the schoolboys cage, the Freshman track team will have an opportunity to test, its strength for the first time in both the field and track events.

So far this season the 1931 runners have been particularly successful in the relay and dashes. At Andover there will be no relay event, and encountering a team which is always strong in the field events, the Freshmen will probably have close competition. Andover lost last year to the 1930 team by the close score of 41 5-6 to 39 1-6

The Freshmen are weak in the high jump, broad jump, and pole vault. Avery of Andover is entered in the pole vault again this year and should score a first place for the Academy in that event.

On the 1931 squad there is a large amount of material which is expected to score on the track. In the 40-yard dash A. L. Watkins '31, a former Browne and Nichols star sprinter and E. H. McGrath '31, are likely to carry off the honors. Also Watkins with W. C. Rome '31, and J. P. Gray '31 should place in the 300-yard run. J. W. Locke '31, and W. K. Page '31, will run in the 40 yard hurdles.

The cross-country men, R. C. Aldrich '31. D. A. Wilson '31, and R. G. Hodges '31, with R. J. Bockes '31, and W. C. Rome '31, should score for the crimson in the 600-yard and 1000-yard runs.

Lack of material has handicapped the development of the Freshman team in the field events. Several events, notably the pole vault and the shot put, are undermanned with the present number of candidates