SNOWBOUND

Just as the Red Sea divided and the Jordan ceased to flow, so snow came to Hanover; Possibly it was due to faith in traditions and possibly it was due to an acute weatherman; at any rate the climatic conditions are favorable and Dartmouth treads the crystal path of dalliance.

What homecoming is to western universities, what prom week is to academies for young ladies, what the Yale game is to Harvard--all that and more is Carnival to Dartmouth College. But there are certain requisites in order that the occasion may, be successful: the first is a quantity of snow--the better to ski with, my dear. One is told that Jupiter-Pluvius, or whoever arranges such things, has never yet failed Dartmouth College. There has always been snow for Carnival. The night may have closed on a green world but dawn was huge drifts on the white Mountains.

It is not for the outsider to be skeptical. Much better is the attitude of the Dartmouth undergraduate--sublime trust and, after the event, becoming gratitude.

Once the snow has arrived it is duly trampled on and none is saved for purpose of "miraculous exhibits." And afterwards, during the long winter evenings in New Hampshire, the circle huddles closer to the fire. "It was a nice carnival" says someone. "Oh, yes and did you notice all the snow?"