THE DOCTOR'S DILEMMA

Dr. Emil Ludwig, the biographer of great men of history, has descended to the present, or at least has given it his passing attention with the hint that he may find time later to do something about it. Dr. Ludwig has named the four greatest living Americans. In his opinion Jane Addams, Orvills Wright, Thomas Edison and John D. Rockefeller are our ranking citizens. It is rumored that upon one of these four (or possible another, for Dr. Ludwig is expected to add another name to his list before completing his present tour) the eminent writer will fasten as the subject for his next biography.

It is obviously no mean takes to choose from among many millions the four or five who qualify as "greatest", but it may be also true that a foreigner is the man best qualified to judge. One wonders who the fifth person will be to be honored by a place upon Dr. Ludwig's great all American Four or Five. In the four already chosen he has picked representatives of four types of eminence. Edison has served mankind. Jane Addams has helped save it. John D. Rockefeller represents genius and one kind of power. Orville Wright personifies Homeric daring. The fifth choice will probably be one who represents per-eminently the elusive spirit of America. There will doubtless be many suggestions, but the choice might well narrow down to the name of Alfred E. Smith and Andrew J. Volstead as the two men who at present wield the most influence on the spirits of the nation.