FORMER RACQUETS CAPTAIN DEFEATS PRESENT LEADER

Victor Now in Final Round for National Championship--Crimson Team Loses to Detroit

In one of the closest matches which the National Squash Racquets Singles Championship tournament, now in progress at Philadelphia, has yet produced, J.F. Pool '28, captain of the University squash team, yesterday bowed to the greater experience and steadiness of H.N. Rawlins '27, leader of last year's championship aggregation. The score of the match, which went to five games before a decision was reached, is an indication of how closely each point was contested. It is as follows: 13-15, 18-15, 6-15, 16-14, 15-7. The triumph places Rawlins in the final round of the tournament. The victor is one of the best players whom Coach H.L. Cowles has produced in the last few years, and already holds the Metropolitan championship of New York by virtue of a victory over Tevis Huhn, star of the Princeton Club of New York.

In the inter-city matches held Saturday, the University team lost a close encounter to Detroit 3-2. Three of the matches went to five games. The University team was considerably weakened by the loss of Pool who was engaged in the individual tournament. In the match against Detroit, S.M. Dupertuis '28 defeated A.D. Hotchkiss decisively while A.G. Thatcher '29 was the only other Harvard player to win his match.

The summary follows:

Detroit 3, Harvard 2. S.M. Dupertuis '28 defeated A.D. Hotchkiss, Detroit, 15-7, 15-6, 11-15, 15-10; R. Maxon, Detroit, defeated Seabury Oliver '28, 16-15, 16-13, 15-11; J.T. Paddock Detroit, defeated B.H. Wihtbeck '29, 15-17, 9-15, 15-6, 15-8, 15-9; A.G. Thatcher '29 defeated R. Hill, Detroit, 15-7, 9-15, 15-18, 15-7; Newhall, Detroit, defeated G.T. Francis '30, 15-10, 15-10, 12-15, 11-15, 16-15.