TREASURE ROOM HOLDS MEMORIAL TO MATHER

Widener Exhibit Honors Puritan Divine, Who Won Harvard A. B. at 15

Commemorating the two hundredth anniversary of the death of Cotton Mather, of the Class of 1678, the Treasure Room of Widener Library is now displaying a collection of his works. Among the articles of particular interest are some manuscript sermons, one or two personal letters written in Latin, several books that belonged to him, and numerous rare editions of his works. Among the sermons is one bearing the title, "Sermon upon the Duties wherein and Reasons whereof young people should become Religious."

Cotton Mather was born in Boston in 1663, the son of Increase Mather, one time president of the University. He took his Bachelor's Degree at the age of 15, and later became a member of the Board of Fellows. A biographical account says, "Mather's day was a continuous church service. He sang psalms, catechized servants, sang more psalms, and entertained his wife (during his life he had three) by reading religious exercises." In spite of his religious bent, Mather was an enthusiastic scientist, and years before Jenner, the discoverer of vaccination, was born, he had advocated inoculation for smallpox, and had inoculated his own son.