MOVING MUSIC

A Harvard cafeteria near the square recently multiplied its revenues by employing a band to entertain its patrons. For years the Hollywood director has made use of music to spur the actors to greater emotional heights on the principle that music has charms which do more than soothe. It remained for the ever ingenious French nation to apply the principle yet further.

A concert was one day given at a children's prison. The next day astonished parents who had abandoned all hope of reform received penitent and regretful letters from their wayward offspring who promised rigid goodness for the future. The band was rushed to a grown-up prison, and soon the embittered "lifers" were shedding tears and promising to turn over a new leaf.

The system when coolly viewed offers untold possibilities at Harvard. If a students considers that he has been hardily dealt with by an unbending professor, he gathers his band and goes to pay the professor a call. Half an hour later he comes out with his mark raised to a substantial B. The one objection would be that the band would probably charge more than the Widow's though to be sure the effort would not cost the student such mental agony.