SMITH AND HOOVER LEAD RACE IN 12 OTHER COLLEGES

Alfred E. Smith, of New York, and Herbert Hoover of California, are far in the lead in the country-wide college poll of leading presidential possibilities being conducted by The Independent, according to recent figures.

After three days of balloting, with complete returns from 13 colleges and universities, the Secretary of Commerce tops the list with 11,510 votes. Smith is the leading Democrat, having polled 8,134.

Charles G. Dawes, of Illinois, holds third place with 1,727 votes, while, Senator James A. Reed, of Missouri, is fourth with 1,071. Albert C. Ritchie, of Maryland. Frank O. Lowden, of Illinois, and Thomas I. Walsh, of Montana, are close contenders, with 809, 656, and 491 votes respectively. Charles Curtis, of Kansas, with 163, Frank B. Willis, of Ohio, with 152, and A. Victor Donaliey, with 114, also of Ohio, trailed.

The 12 institutions, outside of Harvard, represented in this balloting are: University of Cincinnati, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, New York University, Wesleyan. Middlebury, University of Kentucky, University of North Dakota, University of Arizona, Penn State, Wellesley, and Dartmouth.